There's No Way I'd Bleed Myself Dry For You


I can't really be a fan of Coldplay. It's not because they remind me of U2 in the sense that they're European and make bland music. It's not because Chris Martin hooked up with one of the more standoffish and sneakily bitchy celebrities in the business, Gwyneth Paltrow. It's not even because I find 'Yellow' to be one of the most elementary love songs in the past decade. No, I don't blame my irritation towards them for any of these reasons. I blame a guy for making me despise Coldplay. So, in honour of their closing All Points West tonight, it's time for a personal anecdote.

About four years ago, I had just broken up a very short-term relationship with a guy who owned neon green Converse. Enough said. A month later, two events occurred. One, a friend wanted to set me up with her boyfriend's best friend. She gave me a picture and said that he'd get in touch. He was REALLY cute, but I wasn't expecting anything out of it. Second, Coldplay's lead single from their new album, 'Speed of Sound', was released on radio. Both the song and this guy blew my mind. I found both the guy and the song to be well-worded and eloquent in manner, and both also made my heart skip a beat. They each made me conteplate things that I haven't considered prior, and they made me want more of what they were supplying to my ear and heart.

I thought it was fate when Coldplay announced a tour that was coming to the tri-state area. I thought this show would change my life. I imagined him and myself on a blanket under this star-filled sky in New Jersey, listening to the song that instantly made me think of him. In retrospect, New Jersey wasn't the most ideal place in terms of romance. However, honestly, this person changed my perception of what I wanted in a boyfriend or friend, and the only way I can describe how I ever felt about him was through that song. So, naturally, I bought a pair of tickets for the two of us, anticipating that things would be perfect up to that point.

About two weeks before the concert, I stopped hearing from him. No calls, no texts, no e-mails, no instant messages. There was no explanation behind his absense. He just wanted to be out of my life. I usually don't become vulnerable in relationships that don't really exist, but this was the only time where I let some bugger break my heart. It hurt to listen to anything Coldplay ever released, so I permanently banned them from my iPod, iTunes, stereo, car, future mix CDs, or any mean of media.

I never did go to the show. Instead, I sold the tickets and bought myself tickets to see Hootie and the Blowfish.

I think the main reason why I remain bitter towards both the guy and Coldplay is that, in a weird act of fate, I eyeballed the very same person on my very first day of college in my school bookstore. Precisely, we ended up strangers at the same college.

Perhaps the lack of closure make me still despise the guy and Coldplay. Luckily, Coldplay has ended up slowly decaying, in terms of quality of music. Their latest musical efforts have been only lackluster, and I couldn't be happier about that. I'm glad that I don't have the option of relating their music to any more of my romantic endeavors. However, if I did manage to be attracted to their musical stylings nowadays, I'd still be slightly distraught.

0 comments:

Post a Comment