Try To Educate A Black Sheep: My Current Obsession Over Two Door Cinema Club


It has been a while since I stumbled upon a really breakthrough band. Nothing really good has been leaking as of late, or perhaps my taste has deteriorated since I am officially over the hill at the tender age of twenty-one. In the past two weeks, however, I have went from casually hearing this band once on Hypem to buying tickets for their stint at Bowery Ballroom in May to streaming their album six times on MySpace in the span of the day. Yes, folks, I have a new obsession, and their name is Two Door Cinema Club.


Singer/lead Ginger Alex Trimble, guitarist Sam Halliday and bassist Kevin Baird are bringing back indie disco all the way from Ireland (I speak like indie disco has existed since the actual age of disco, but this is not the case). Despite the lack of percussions, one can hardly tell with alternative beats coming from a well-programmed Mac. While their first song I heard, “Do You Want It All” is a lot mellower than the rest of their album, it still has that rhythmic pulse that truly brings the song to life. “Something Good Can Work” has the worldly sound that Vampire Weekend adopted on their debut album, while “I Can Talk” turns into this frantic, Hot Chip-esque orgy of noise that somehow meshes extraordinarily well together. Since the MySpace leak, I’ve grown a fond appreciation for “Come Back Home”, “This Is The Life” and “You’re Not Stubborn”. However, my favorite has remained “Undercover Martyn”. It’s a ditty that combines an opening that slightly resembles Foo Fighters’ “Everlong”, Minus the Bear riffs, and castanets. God knows I love the castanet.


Anyway, check these lads out. They’re one of my picks for Big Deals in 2010.



0 comments:

Post a Comment