In-Turned Glasses: Two Door Cinema Club at Bowery Ballroom, May 12th


My semester finally ended, so I have a little over two weeks before I take two classes over the summer (one leading me overseas to London for five weeks, and I intend on having Rick Astley Rickroll me at least once while I’m there). As a result of temporary freedom, I finally have time to write new material that doesn’t regard lackluster coverage on environmental issues or corrupt journalists.


I have a lot of unfinished material that I’ve been keeping hold of until I had time to release it. Before finishing any of that, though, I went to a show on Wednesday. I’ve been looking forward to seeing Two Door Cinema Club since Brooklyn Vegan announced their gig at Bowert Ballroom on May 12th a few months ago. Their material from their debut release Tourist History has been on my iPod since I first stumbled upon them on Hypem, and their tunes have been my motivation to get my arse to the gym. But, I had a feeling I was going to be let down slightly.


Here was my main issue with their set. I understand that it was their very first tour, so their set wasn’t going to be a two-hour affair like the Patti Smith gig I went to at Bowery in December. The boys rocked out enthusiastically and were as lively as the Irish should be. However, like the problem that I had with The Killers when I saw them five years ago, TDCC had an extremely bland set list. Every song on the album was played, along with two other songs not on the record. 75% of the audience has heard of the “unknown” songs, Hands Off My Cash and Kids. There were no real surprises, and I’m a girl who really doesn’t like predictable shows. Hell, I even predicted the douchey frat boys being let loose from their Axe-smelling cages and wrecking havoc behind me (one of them, a Troll-ish character, kept smacking my straw hat and stroking my friend’s, a male’s, hair). Come on, I know you boys have covers of Poker Face and Phoenix’s Lasso. Couldn’t you have thrown that in for my sake? If I see them play at Webster Hall in the fall, I’m hoping at least one of those covers is included.


The fact that the uber-ginger lead singer, Alex Trimble, resembled an adult version of my cousin also made me feel slightly uncomfortable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment